Thursday, August 26, 2010

Packing Pursuit in a Pickle.

I fly out in ten days. TEN days! Tomorrow, the countdown will be in the single digits!

I've been progressively packing for the past two weeks or so, and feeling pretty good so far about my thought-out planning and preparations.

This is my current packing status. All that's missing from the stuff laid out is basically underwear, tank tops, and bathroom stuff I'm still using.
So what do I find out this morning?

I can check in not two, but one, only one, single, 50-pound bag.
Not cool.

Ironically, the current song on my
randomized play all music list at the
moment is "Into the Airwaves" by Jack's
Mannequin, and I'm hearing these words
as I repeatedly keep forgetting to breathe:

So hold on, it's gonna be a hard day
So hang on, now, don't panic
Don't panic, there simply is no need

It's gonna be a hard day
It's gonna be a hard day
Don't panic, don't panic
We are hanging here
We are hanging here
 
Maybe this is God's way of telling me that things are going to be okay.
And I believe Him. It's true, things typically turn out okay. That doesn't mean that these aren't still unfortunate circumstances, though. Here's the long and the short (well, mostly long, with the way I explain things) of it:

My flight is with three other students, and we booked through a travel agent. To try to get cheaper airfare, they booked two separate flights - one thru US Airways to get us to Paris, and then from there we fly Air France the rest of the way to Turin. The two airlines have an agreement to check bags through from BWI to Turin, but the thing is, only one bag is paid for with the airfare. The issue is that a second bag for Air France cannot be paid for at BWI; it must be paid for in Paris, which means we'd have to reclaim it, probably go thru customs, and pay for it and recheck it in during our layover in Paris. Our layover is 3 hours long in Paris though, which I would think might be enough time. Another issue, though: in my researching both airlines' websites and going to the travel agency myself to speak with the agent who booked our flights, I learned what the extra baggage fees are for both airlines. Initially I was told that US Airways would let us take two bags free, but apparently their policy has now changed. The second baggage would cost $50 to US Airways and 55 euro (or $70) to Air France, and that goes both ways, meaning that's basically an extra $240 in like, hidden fees that we were not aware of when we booked this flight. So. flipping. LAME. 

While we did get an $1100 airfare stipend from the school, the airfare price and those extra baggage fees would mean that we'd be spending like $400 out of pocket, on top of tuition to St. Mary's, plus the Alba program fees. I just don't think I can justify that as being worth it, man. I'm thinking I'll just work on condensing all of the stuff I've already got laid out and bring a single larger luggage and hopefully a larger carry-on that still meets both airlines' size limits. It's going to be quite the challenge, especially putting into consideration the fact that I'm a pretty light packer, so all the stuff I've already laid out I consider to be things that I definitely want to bring. Sigh. 

Looking at the bigger picture though, regardless of this bit of a snag,
I'M STILL GOING TO EUROPE! :)

And that's what matters. I am still going to have the experience of a lifetime, even if I have more limited belongings with me. I've still been given such a great opportunity, and I intend to make the most of it. I'm trusting that God will take care of me, through whatever other obstacles I come across and no matter what happens.


Wish me luck. :)

1 comment:

  1. Good luck, good buddie! You're going to be okay. You're definitely going to make it! I can't wait to hear all about all of your adventures!! :-D

    -K

    ReplyDelete