Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Lenten goals

Starting tomorrow and going until Easter Sunday (April 4, according to my calendar.. a total of 51 days - I thought Lent was supposed to be 40 days long?), I have banned myself from Facebook, and my sister is cutting herself off from TV, including video games (!!), haha.


It's going to be hard, but it'll also be interesting, I think. My reasons for cutting myself off from facebook are more personal than spiritual, but I think it'll do me some good either way. Facebook is way too distracting, and like I said in my last status until April, goodness knows there are definitely better ways I could be utilizing my time, haha. Hopefully now I'll be able to focus my energy towards getting my homework done without getting sidetracked. I mean, sure, I could have just told myself to just get on, check things, comment here and there, and then get off and get to work, but I think my mind is too A.D.D. to really go through with that. I'd just get too easily distracted! Especially since I'm already so reluctant to do my homework as it is, haha. So yeahh, I figured cutting myself off completely for a while would do me some good. I already limited my time on Facebook today to just checking my notifications (most of which were in response to my "admirable" choice for Lent, haha.. it's kind of sad how many of our generation are so addicted to Facebook that we can't imagine not checking it daily, huh? Lol.) and I think that it's been a pretty productive night. It's Tuesday, and I've already done my hw for Thurs, started both math hw's for Friday. :)

Anyway, school focuses aside, of course I have some spiritual aspirations for Lent (and after) as well. Yes, on top of giving up Facebook I will still participate in fasting tomorrow and on Good Friday, and not eating meat on Fridays during Lent, but that is more to just do that together with my family. I personally am not sure exactly how doing those things will bring me closer to God, so I'm going to do more. I've been reading the Bible every day since the start of the year (using a NLT One Year Bible that Fields got like two Christmases ago), and I'm pretty proud of myself that I have kept up the daily habit. Of course I'll continue to do so, but I also want to explore and learn more in general about what it means to be a Christian. I don't want to get weighed down in the technicalities of how each denomination worships, I primarily want to focus on what I can do to be a better Christian first and foremost. I'm going to work on my relationship with Jesus Christ. It will be interesting to look at the differences and similarities in the beliefs and practices of the different denominations, especially as I consider what church I really want to go to (based on my relationship with Christ, not with Fields, or with my parents, or anyone), but I have to take things step by step or I will be overwhelmed.


At times, I already feel really overwhelmed. It's a hard situation I'm in since Fields and my parents have different biases and I'm kind of lost in the middle, but I know that I want to do this for myself, and I'm going to rely on God for help. I just have to keep praying for guidance and strength to be able to make the right decision.

No comments:

Post a Comment