Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Italy..

...here I come!


Well, not quite yet, but I'm sooo ready to go! Today, I finished up filling out my Study Abroad application forms and everything else that I need to get together for the first batch of forms :) There will be another batch for Pre-departure, but that's not til like April. The forms I put together today aren't due until March 1, but I've just been so excited! :) I feel like this is my first step towards Italy, and I'm sooo stoked! For the study abroad scholarship application, I had to write a statement of my purpose and goals in Italy, so I thought I'd share that here. I don't really expect to get a scholarship, but it doesn't hurt to try, right? I basically just wrote down my sentiments toward studying abroad, so it didn't come out so much like an essay as it did like I was just telling someone my reasons for wanting to go, which is still what I think they were looking for, sooo.. yep :)


STATEMENT OF PURPOSE AND GOALS IN STUDY ABROAD
Having grown up in a Navy family, I have gotten to travel quite a bit. My family was stationed in Japan for ten years, and we got to take trips to places in Asia like Singapore, Thailand, the Philippines, and Hong Kong. I love traveling, but I have never fully immersed myself in another country’s culture as I expect to with the opportunity to study abroad. Since I have never been to Europe, I picked Italy as my destination of choice. There is something about Italy that I find charming, from its rustic countryside vistas and vineyards, to the small towns and historic cities. I am excited to have the opportunity to go sightseeing in cities like Rome, Florence, and Venice and have my breath taken away by their majesty.

This particular program in Alba through SMCM also appealed to me because of the variety offered in the courses that students can take. Since I will have already completed the requirements for both my major and minor, as well as the General Education Curriculum, all I need to take are electives to fill in the number of required credit hours for my degree. The Alba program offers various courses in Literature, Economics, Religion, Music, and History, so I know that I will be able to get a stimulating educational experience on top of experiencing the wonderful Italian culture.

I anticipate my experience abroad will help me become more aware of how vast the world really is and to open my eyes to all the many other cultures there are out there. I am willing to step out of my comfort zone and into the entirely unfamiliar culture of a new country, and I hope that this will drive me to gain a better sense of self-confidence and independence, seeing as this will be my first time really away from home and on my own. Since this will be the last semester of my undergraduate career, these will be valuable traits to have as I aim to enter the “real working world” upon my return and graduation. I expect this program will provide me with a once in a lifetime experience whose memories I will look back on and cherish for the rest of my life, and I honestly cannot express how eager and excited I am to get started on this adventure!  

No comments:

Post a Comment